Word of the Day

Need help with mentalism or want to share some feedback? Come on in!

Word of the Day

Postby Khuldrin » Tue Jan 01, 2013 8:23 pm

Hello friends. I am working on an idea and am looking for some input.
A word is selected (one of 365, hence the title Word of the Day) and the definition is looked up in a dictionary (or smart phone could be used to go to an online dictionary). The spectator is asked to visualize, if possible, the definition. The performer then describes or draws a picture of the spectators visualized thoughts and also reveals the word.
Your thoughts and input? Is this something that sounds worth pursuing?
On the border of our minds lies a place where dreams and reality are one, a world of magic...
Khuldrin

Re: Word of the Day

Postby vanishintonight » Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:38 am

Definitely worth pursuing......I'll give some thought to the matter.......Michael
vanishintonight

Postby Khuldrin » Sun Jan 06, 2013 2:11 am

First test run done today.
Reactions were good, the idea and concept works though my presentation needs alot of improvement! :lol:
Now comes the fun part, scripting it; and research to see if anything else is out there that does the same thing... I hope that I am not 'reinventing the wheel'. I give myself a month to have a decent script, but like many things we do, a script is our outline.
Micheal, aka vanishintonite has offered to also test run this effect once I get things in order. So Michael, give me a month to do some smoothing. Who knows, if you enjoy doing this effect, you too may start getting into mentalisim.
On the border of our minds lies a place where dreams and reality are one, a world of magic...
Khuldrin

Postby vanishintonight » Sun Jan 06, 2013 6:38 pm

Ahhhh- I see you've selected the Three of Clubs.......Michael :)
vanishintonight

Postby Khuldrin » Sat Jan 12, 2013 3:20 pm

I am doing a birthday party this evening. Word of the Day is getting a full workout . The patter is only outlined so I'm not going in with full memorized script, but this is where I will get a better understanding of the way it should flow.
Khuldrin

Postby Khuldrin » Tue Jan 15, 2013 12:05 am

Still alot of working kinks out
Khuldrin

Postby Khuldrin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:52 am

Everyone has thoughts and memories. One of my memories is of my Grandmother, she loved to do crossword puzzles and play Scrabble and many other word games. Whenever she would get a new calendar out would come her dictionary... she would open to random pages, close her eyes, and drop her finger down...the word she found under her finger would then be written down; starting on January first all the way through until December thirty-first, one word for each day of the calendar year...365 words and every 4 years 366. Each day, she would learn the definition and spelling of a new word. When we (my cousins, my sisters, and myself) would visit, she would have us share the adventure of looking up 'The word of the day' that shared our birthday.
I don't do the crosswords but when I get a calender, I get out a dictionary and make a 'Word of the Day' and sometimes play her game with others... Would you care to play?

When is your birthday? Not the year, just the date... (as I remove a pocket planer) Good, we don't share the same date, I already cheated and learned my word... tintinnabulation.

(I flip the pages slowly) You can see that I have written a different word on each day... here is a fun word (as I point to a word and try to pronounce it), and here is an easy one... wish my word was that easy... anyways, here, look up your word on your birthday, but don't tell me what it is. Concentrate on your word... hmmm.. are you familiar with your word or would you like to borrow a dictionary? Picture your word... ahhhh... you have experienced your word, it brings good memories?

Their word gets revealed, not letter by letter, but by describing their thoughts/memories and also using their word in the description.
Khuldrin

Postby vanishintonight » Tue Sep 03, 2013 2:17 pm

Wow! That sounds fracking awesome.......I like, I like........Very original, gets the audiences participation and attention,
flowing patter........Can't wait to buy it at MJM! (You know I made up "12 Block & Rope Release" and Jeff sold them for me.)
take care, Michael :)
vanishintonight

Postby Khuldrin » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:37 pm

I need to contact a few people before I get ahead of myself. I need to make sure it is ok to market since I am not the originator of the methods employed. This would also probably be done as an ebook as opposed to manufactured effect.
Khuldrin

Postby vanishintonight » Tue Sep 03, 2013 3:51 pm

Sounds like the research will be the hard part.........
vanishintonight

Return to Mentalism Magic Discussion