Close-up & Street Magic effects I love

This forum is to discuss street magic, table hopping, or strolling magic of all kinds.

Close-up & Street Magic effects I love

Postby vanishintonight » Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:33 pm

Hi everyone!....Here's a listing of those type effects I love (except for card & money magic which are listed under those
categories). I'd love to hear about which close-up & street magic effects you love to perform......Michael
1) Thought Transmitter (goes well with the Invisible Deck)
2) Block & Rope Escape (my version of it is on sale at MJM Magic!)
3) Professor's Nightmare
4) Change Bag (I use a "squeeker" which is really fun)
5) Cut & Restored Rope (unable to remember where I found this version)
6) Key Bending (can't remember the exact name of it)
7) Color Changing Shoelaces (David Ginn model)
8) SideWinder (great way to give out our business card)
9) Bent Key (unable to recall correct name of it)
10) Songe Balls (and I use my own gimmick to make 8 sponges appear at the end- hopefully I'll market it!)
11) Cups & Balls (Mendoza Routine)
12) PK Ring
13) Captivated
14) Thimbles (still learning)
15) Dye Tube (w/ Invisible Hand Pocket- streaming video)

...........................well, that's it- hope to hear from yo all........Michael :)
vanishintonight

Re: Close-up & Street Magic effects I love

Postby Khuldrin » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:49 pm

If you desire to use some sort of outside device with an invisible deck, IMHO you will have a much stronger reaction if you were to use a cell phone instead of the Thought Transmitter.

For example:
"Most magicians have someone pick a card from the deck, today, we are going to turn the tables... I get to pick a card" (remove and look at a card without showing the audience) "and I get place it back into the deck anywhere" (at this time turn the deck face up and place the card into it face down) "I did that so it is easier to find by non magicians" (said with a wink and a smile).
"You have a cell phone with probably what, 50, 100, maybe even 200 or more contacts? Do me a favor, call or text one of your friends that is not here with you and tell them that you are at (name of restaurant) and that the house magician (insert your name) is doing some great magic and you need their help... To name the first card that comes to their mind..." {have them explain what has happened with chosen card and lost in the deck so far} (while this is happening place the cards back into their box and place them into your pocket)
Once their contact has named a card and they have shared it with you, remove the invisible deck and watch their reactions.

I have had a miracle happen twice now in the many times I have used the cell phone/invisible deck, their friend has named the card I looked at and placed face down into the face up deck, which allowed me to just remove the deck and set on the table...

(The above patter is not what I use and is just a simple example.)
On the border of our minds lies a place where dreams and reality are one, a world of magic...
Khuldrin

Postby Khuldrin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:24 am

When I think of street magic, I think of impromptu magic... thoughts of impromptu magic brings me to what can I carry in my pockets without looking like I have alot of junk in my pockets and also what can I borrow and be more intimate.
The effects I carry with me at all times are:
1) TT
2) Hopping Half
3) A couple of packet tricks
4) A wallet for gathering information
5) A pen through dollar

Now, if I am going somewhere that I know that people are going to ask me to do some things:
6) Deck of cards
7) Invisible Deck
8) Mullica Wallet
9) Card Watch

If I were to do busking street magic, many of the effects you mentioned are phenomenal for gathering crowds and in my opinion perfect.
On the border of our minds lies a place where dreams and reality are one, a world of magic...
Khuldrin

Postby vanishintonight » Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:42 am

that's an incredible way to use the Invisible deck!.....what is "TT"?.......
vanishintonight

Postby Khuldrin » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:09 am

A TT is a utility device manufactured by Vernet. It is used for vanishing items such as cigarrettes. matches, small silks, salt, or can be used for production of a silk, a streamer, salt, a monatary bill... There are books and videos on their versatilities and uses. If you are still in question of the TT, I am sure that Jeff can direct you to a page in his store which will be more helpful. I do not wish to expose here :)
Khuldrin

Postby Jeff_Mash » Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:55 pm

He knows what a TT is. I think the acronym threw him off! I am sending a PM right now. :)

BTW - Awesome post! I love reading these ideas and tricks that you guys carry around.
Jeff_Mash
Site Admin

Postby Khuldrin » Sat Mar 17, 2012 2:21 am

I figured he would know what it is when I mentioned Vernet though I also hoped that if there were any lurkers that are interested in magic, giving some of the things that it can be used for,may swing them into the MJM site and look around 8-)

In the above mentioned cell phone/inv deck, you are left with having to do a quick reset of your cards if you dont have a miracle. Here is a challange to you... without resetting the deck (one card reversed in the deck), what type of lead in effect comes to mind that utilizes it?

Yes, I do use one which I will be happy to share but at a later time.

Also, if you do use the cell phone/inv deck, please leave some comments as to the reactions you receive.
Khuldrin

Postby Lance Perriera » Wed Mar 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Funny but one of the best reactions I get is from Misled by Timothy Wenk. Or the pen through the dollar. Oero bite worked good the last kids show I did. The kids loved it.
Want to see a trick.
Lance Perriera

Postby vanishintonight » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:43 pm

I'm practicing with "Clean thru Clear thru" that you recommended for me- I like watching the DVD just seeing it done-
one of these days 'll have itdown, it's very visual!....I'll have to check out Mislead as I've heard a lot about of positive
things about it.......Michael
vanishintonight

Return to Close Up / Miscellaneous