My Rating: 8.5/10
Price: $25.00 (+2 Reward Points Earned)
In case you aren't familiar with the Card Artistry effect, it can be summed up like this. A spectator's card is lost in the deck, and the magician reveals the card by "painting" a classic picture (like the Mona Lisa) which contains your card within the painting! It's one of those things you have to SEE to get the full picture, and you can view a demo of it right here.
With this second 2.0 version, Justin has taken things to the next level. Unlike the original version (which is only done with one painting during performance), this version contains a collage of many famous painings, with the spectator's card as the highlighted masterpiece!
But BEST OF ALL, in this version, the card can be signed or drawn upon by the spectator. It's much more personal in nature, and as magician's that's worth its weight in gold.
It's not just a "quick" card trick. This is one of those things where you want to CONNECT with your spectator. Since you ask them to draw a piece of artwork on the card, this gives you precious time to sit with them, strike up a conversation, and make that personal connection which really opens them up emotionally for the finale (which they will NEVER see coming).
You can literally turn this into a 10 minute effect as you comment and interact with your spectators!
In case you are wondering: NO, you DO NOT need to own the first Card Artistry before purchasing this one. In fact, Justin includes the entire instruction from the original Card Artistry on this DVD! So you basically get that entire DVD on here, plus you get the new content which was added for this new 2.0 version.
- When the effect is over, and they're sitting there in total amazement, all the cards can be examined! Once the spectator sees the final "painting", they are free to look at the cards (front and back). There is nothing to clean up or ditch.
- The cards are produced on quality USPCC stock, so they aren't cheap or flimsy. In fact, because there are no red/blue backs on the cards, they can be put into any deck that you like, assuming that the FACES of the deck you're using match the standard pips of most decks. So if you use a Tally-Ho deck for example, you can easily use these cards because the faces will still match that deck.
- Reset is ALMOST instant. If you want to immediately perform this again, you just need to pick up the cards in a certain order. This can easily be done by picking them up in reverse order, and it's something that can be casually done while speaking to your spectator without them thinking about it. Once the stack is picked up, it's put back in the deck and you're ready to go again.
- Not really a "con" since if you're purchasing this effect, you already know what you're getting, but this is an effect that can only be performed with a table or flat surface. Again, not a big deal since this is the nature of the effect. No one should purchase this and say, "What? You mean I can't have this performed while walking down the street to random people?" No, you can't.....unless you have your own pop-up table!
- While the effect comes with a great instructional DVD (and the cards), you still need to perform this with a sticky surface. Justin Flom recommends the back of a close up pad (the kind which has a rubbery back). Otherwise, it will be much more difficult for you to execute the "painting" motion, because the cards won't have anything to adhere to. So if you're purchasing this effect, just keep that in mind.
Overall, I would give this effect 8.5/10. It's a FANTASTIC effect which I would have given 10/10, except it does need to be performed on a surface, and that surface shouldn't be too smooth or else it would be more difficult to pull off. Not to mention, it can't be done with a borrowed deck due to the special painted cards needed, but if that's not an issue for you, this is a MEMORABLE effect, and it's something which you will CONNECT to your spectator because it's very personal in nature. The fact that you can use a spectator's personalized card in the painting, and that it can be performed again with a DIFFERENT card makes this version better than the original.
The DVD is well produced, and Justin is very straightforward and easy to learn from. If you don't mind having a stack in your deck, and you have the right surface to perform on, this is a trick that is memorable, visual, and not something that people will have seen before!
My Rating: 8.5/10
Price: $25.00 (+2 Reward Points Earned)...
Date Added: 04/09/2013 by Jeff Mash