Card Sleights

This forum is for specific questions related to card handling or techniques.

Card Sleights

Postby Khuldrin » Wed Apr 04, 2012 11:45 pm

Greetings all.
I wanted to start a thread for where we can discuss card sleights and perhaps share knowledge of personal experience with the different sleights to help others that may be having a difficult time with a particular move or sleight. We may not want to discuss mechanics in open forum, but the ability to pm is available :)

One thing to remember about sleights, though they are an intregal part of an effect and we put alot of time and effort into properly using it/them, they are not the effect. Many times, after spending what seems like months to perfect a sleight, when we use it we, subconsciously telegraph that we are doing something sneaky to our audience and we get caught.
On the border of our minds lies a place where dreams and reality are one, a world of magic...
Khuldrin

Re: Card Sleights

Postby Lance Perriera » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:22 pm

When working with cards the laymen are allways looking for something. Even if I dont use a slight they think I did a funny move. One of my best slights is the DL. Fools them everytime. I also love useing d back cards.
Want to see a trick.
Lance Perriera

Postby vanishintonight » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:43 pm

I agree that the sleight is not the effect- although it is what makes the effect happen. As in most all magic, if you don't let the spectator know what you're going to do they don't know where to be looking- and even if you do let them know beforehand with
misdirection (either by patter, movement, or whatever) you can throw them off. I've found that since they don't know what
sleight you're going to do/use if you don't draw attention to it, you'll have them mystified every time. I don't use many card sleights- as I'm not a card man, enough to get by on.....and lance, I'm working on that "push-off double lift", I've found that
it goes better for me holding the cards in the other hand than I originally started on; this is true of most magic I do- some effects I use my right hand, for other effects I use my left hand, go figure....I'll be thinking about what sleights I do use and to share them here- I personally believe that discussions of card sleights on a Magic Forum isn't revealing an effect- just an illustration of a sleight that can be employed in an effect, so I have no problem discussing them on this forum- let me know
if you believe otherwise.....Michael
vanishintonight

Postby vanishintonight » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:33 pm

I've also found that employing "gimmicks" help to get around having to do all those complicated sleights. I wish I had spent
time in my youth learning those sleights, but I didn't so now I'll throw in using things like "roughing fluid", "2 way glue", or a
"short card" to achieve a desired effect. Right now I'm wondering about "ONE BY ONE By Normand Beauchamp", as I have
a deck of manipulation cards which I use to keep the fingers nimble, if that would be a nice short interlude to some effect.
The above "gimmicks" I find useful when I need to force a card, or have a card change........Michael
vanishintonight

Postby Khuldrin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:58 pm

The DL is a strong part of many effects I too do. I am not above using gaffed cards, I just don't have any effects that I do that require them. I am open to suggestion as to some effects that use them which I could incorporate into what I do.
The one sleight that I still have not mastered and am looking for some suggestions on doing properly is a top change. I believe that the one area I am lacking is the proper misdirection.
On the border of our minds lies a place where dreams and reality are one, a world of magic...
Khuldrin

Postby vanishintonight » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:39 pm

Saw this on youtube: Card Trick Magic Tutorial: The Erdnase Top Color Change.....I assume that 's what you're looking for....
Michael
vanishintonight

Postby vanishintonight » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:49 pm

This is a DVD set on my really in the future, "Wishlist" from MJM Magic....... in the future I'm thinking about learning card sleights:
"Expert at the Card Table 7 DVD Set by Wesley James (+ Book)"- a lot is all about Erdnase.....Michael
vanishintonight

Postby Khuldrin » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:33 pm

You know, I forget about youtube lol.
The The Erdnase Top Color Change is a beautiful effect though not the top change I am looking for. I did find a tutorial of the top change though. Thanks for reminding me about youtube.
Khuldrin

Postby vanishintonight » Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:19 pm

What type of top change are you looking for?.....I'm not familiar with many card sleights.....Michael
vanishintonight

Postby Khuldrin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:58 am

How to explain... hmmmmmmmmm... it is a utility move that allows the magician to casually switch a card one for another.
Khuldrin

Next

Return to Card Magic Discussion